From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:26:21 +1000
All mammalian cells express ABO antigens, I believe.
What I object to about D'Adamo's work is that he has started with a
reasonable hypothesis, and has failed to develop it further. The blood
agglutinating effects of lectins were discovered over 100 years ago.
Lectins
do far more than this, yet that is all that D'Adamo is interested in.
They
are the most versatile biological poisons I am aware of. They can
cause all
kinds of mischief, without necessarily causing any blood clotting or
attaching to cells. Thus D'Adamo is a disappointment as he has
stagnated, he
has failed to progress, to develop. He seems to have ignored
everything else
that has been discovered about lectins causing havoc, as he doesn't
want to
change his precious theory or affect his sales. D'Adamo's book has too
soul
butter and hogwash for my liking. I gave up half way through reading
it.

As for there being good and bad lectins- absolutely! I think of
lectins much
like bacteria- there are good and bad ones..

So how do we separate them out- I've been trying to get a sensible
response
from lectin scientists but they're all a bit test tube oriented. It
comes
down to how we react hem or them to us. I categorise them as reactive
(having effects on our physiology) or non-reactive (having no
measurable
effect on our physiology). Most of the reactive ones are defensive
lectins
(their role is to defend the plant from predators). Most of the
non-reactive
ones have physiological roles in the plant or animal (which haven't
really
been figured out yet). It seems like we may have adapted to some
defensive
lectins in the edible nuts (maybe some of us haven't)(BTW although
everyone
calls almonds paleo, natural almonds are not as they contain
cyanide/cyanogens- we eat a mutant that came out about 100 years ago
with
low cyanide. So, I think almonds aren't really paleo. I suspect they
may
have the odd other toxin or two). By the way, grain eating birds have
adapted to the lectins in grains.

I call the reactive ones Hannibal lectins after Hannibal Lecter as
they are
so devious, insidious and nasty. They are exquisitely versatile as
they can
trigger almost any receptor in the body and make cells do things they
would
never have dreamed of, or simply die.

Ben Balzer