From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 18:41:34 -0500
On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Katrina wrote:

>      "One of the most important things we've found out
>        about protein is its impact on life expectancy. When
>        you feed animals more protein, they don't live as
>        long. If you reduce their calories and protein, they
>        live longer. " -- Dr. Dean Edell
>

>     I'm fairy well acquainted with the calorie restriction diets, which I can't follow, but I
> am not familiar with the effects of protein on aging.

I don't know any specific research on this.  The way in which
caloric restriction slows aging appears to be by slowing all
metabolic processes (muscle mass is lost, body temperature goes
down, etc.).  Protein, on the other hand, has a thermic effect
that in effect increases metabolism.  So it makes sense that it
would shorten life somewhat, if the rest of the assumptions about
aging are correct.

Todd Moody