From:
Jean Risman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 12:17:52 -0400
> Now, Dr. Berstein's approach is very severe, shooting for no carbs at all
> day,

I follow Dr Bernstein's diet. It does not advocate no carbs per day. Rather
it advocates 6 carbs at breakfast and 12 each at lunch and dinner. One can
also have snacks up to 12 carbs each, but they must be eaten no less than 4
hours after a meal, so only one snack per day is really possible if you also
want to sleep. I usually have 3 meals per day plus about an ounce of almonds
before bed. All sugar, virtually all grains and all fruit are disallowed, so
that carbs come primarily as vegetables. I do eat blueberries. The goal is
to normalize blood sugar, which from Bernstein's perspective means keeping
it
under 100 (5.5), ideally at about 90 (5) for type 1 diabetics and 85 (4.7)
for type 2. It is very easy to eat paleo and follow Bernstein. I am finding
that this combo of diets is working very well for me. I have lost over 50
pounds and my digestive problems are just about gone plus my blood glucose
levels are stabilized. I have type 2 diabetes.

Jean