From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:14:50 +0100
From: "Jim Swayze" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 9:06 PM
Subject: Paleo Summary

> Can I use your collective brains?  Sometimes it is helpful to me to
> summarize, so here goes:
>
> GRAINS are bad because:
> 1) They offer no nutritional value
> 2) What may be worse,

And, they have too much of omega6 compared to omega3. Generally for all
seeds is that they are too caloridense and thereby cause us to be fat. and
they are poor in vitamins.

> The WORST dietary OFFENDERS
> Wheat in any form
> Trans fats
> MSG
> Aspartame
Are these foods?

> Slightly LESS BAD
> Oats, rice, corn
> Dairy
> Peanuts, soy, or any beans
> Potatoes
I don't think these are less bad - except for potatoes that I like, hmm?!
No, sorry, this is a serious matter. Very improved beans like haricot verts,
or other beans that we eat with the sheath could probably be eaten and
tolerated but not on a regular basis. Somewhere I read that oats can only be
consumed in a population that also eats a lot of fat fish. Something with
the vitaminD I think. It caught my interest because that has been the staple
food for Swedes living by the coast. And as you all know we are tall, slim,
beatiful and we get old! Sorry it must be the wine.
Peanuts and soy - I wouldn't touch it, especially not the soy which is in
fact a plant for improving the soil.

> OK in moderation
> Carbohydrates (incl. honey, fruit juice)
> Salt
> Alcohol (wine not beer)
> Caffeine

I don't think Alcohol and caffeine are paleolithic foods even if they are
nice sometimes.

> GOOD
> Saturated fat, cholesterol (I love starting off with that)
> Omega 6's and Omega 3's in balance, mono- and polyunsaturated fats
> Protein
> Tree Nuts
> Low glycemic fruits
> Vegetables

Be careful with tree nuts - they are all reasonably high in omega6

> ESPECIALLY GOOD
> Organic foods
> Grassfed/Free Range/Natural Diet meats
> Wild fruits and vegetables
Yes!

> Your comments/suggestions/disagreements/additions to this somewhat random
> list appreciated!
Eva