From:
Ingrid Bauer/J-C Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 02:01:23 -0700
-

>        The proven way(and only healthy way) to improve bone density is
through
>weight bearing exercise. Nutrition is secondary to the demand placed on the
>body. This means that nutrition ONLY becomes important once the body has a
>need to adapt to stresses by increasing bone density. Taking all the
>hormones,vitamins, etc. won't do you any good unless you first stress your
>skeleton.
>        I have never seen a long term powerlifter develop osteoporosis and
in fact
>from the many x-rays I've seen their bone density is phenomenal.

i  agree with your intention to put emphasis on exercise but i will
not be
so one sided .
As a farmer  and as a father i carry lot of weight around but i still
have
osteoporosis because of hormonal imbalance ( i have 2 hormonal glands
that
doesn't work and i am taking cortisol. for 19 years  Because of my
work my
legs are the least affected but the rest did lose density anyway.
jean-claude