From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:46:51 -0500
Susan Carmack:
> ... When I emailed you I was having a challenge find the source about
> tobacco as a nutrient. I have now located the source and it is:
> "Young Again, A Personal Guide to Ageless Living" by John Thomas
> (ISBN 1-884757-78-2).
>
> Some of the quotes from his book are:
>
> 1. "Tobacco contains the 'entire' vitamin B-12 complex. Tobacco is
> very valuable food."
>
> 2. "Tobacco is the richest natural source of the Bs in the world --
> nothing compares to it-nothing! Concentration of the B vitamins runs
> as high as 30%.
>
> What? 30%?! 30% of what? Of dried leaf by weight? I agree that any
> plant with 30% B vitamins by weight would be pretty amazing; but this
> is simply too good to be true.

Good sleuthing Susan. I agree with you and I think you've shown John Thomas
to be an unreliable source for health advice. Instead of tobacco, perhaps
you should grow sunflowers, greens and squash in your garden? Considering
that chewing tobacco can make first-timers nauseous, I bet that eating it
can make you really sick.

> When 'small' amounts of green or dried tobacco are put into stews,
> beans, and salads, we get the 'Bs'. Care must be taken in the choice
> of variety. Most importantly, fresh lemon juice or apple cider
> vinegar MUST be used to bring green tobacco within digestion range."

Why "small" amounts, if it's so healthy? Vinegar is yet another non-Paleo
food, along with the corn and beans.