From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:52:39 -0400
Todd wrote:
> By just about anyone's standards, my diet is still very lowcarb.
> At lunch and breakfast, my carbs are typically a single serving
> of fruit or berries, which generally comes to no more than 15g of
> carbs (3/4 cup of blueberries = about 12g; a slice of watermelon
> = about 19g; 1/2 grapefruit = about 9g).  An average sweet potato
> is about 28g.  So if I have grapefruit in the morning (typical),
> blueberries or watermelon at lunch (also typical), and a sweet
> potato in the evening, my carb total is 50-60g, but having that
> sweet potato in the evening (or a white potato, which I still
> occasionally do, since my wife likes them) seems to make all the
> difference for the rest of the evening.
>
> Since I have figured this out, I have been losing the weight that
> had snuck back on.  I think it is important to figure out the
> pattern that provides least resistance to compliance.  Speaking
> as a 4-year paleo veteran, I know how important this is.  In my
> case, it's more important to make compliance easier than it is to
> keep carb below 30g, or whatever.

This is incredibly helpful! Thanks Todd and Alison and others on this list.
For me this may be a missing link. I realize I have been too strict on low
carbs and then binged, and this will help me. I will buy some paleo tubers
and see how things go. It is true fruit does not seem to satisfy these
cravings and I'd rather have a sweet potato and avoid binging on junk.

--Richard