From:
Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:07:55 -0500
On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:55:45 -0400, Tom Barber <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I have recently been obsessing about the carb load in my paleo diet.
Reason?
>In the archives I found a section on "average day" menus that showed quite
>lot of variation.
>
>Atkins states that 100gm of carbs is a good maintenance and that the
average
>American takes in 300+/day. One person posted the following:
>
>My usual Paleo diet is:
>
>- Lots of red meat, especially beef.
>
>- Bacon and Eggs, with occasional cheese omelets, lots of butter.
>
>- Roast Pork
>
>- A little chicken or turkey
>
>- 1 lb. Salmon once a week cooked on the backyard grill.
>
>- About 7 apples a day
>
>- About 3 pears a day
>
>- One HUGE salad of lettuce (various types), raw broccoli, occasional
>
>tomatoes, olive oil.
>
>- A lot of salt on the meats and salad.
>
>- Odds and ends, strawberries if there any good that day, blueberries,
>
>radishes, cucumber, melons, onions, garlic.
>

>The apples and pears alone add up to nearly 225gm of carbs/day. Any
>thoughts?
>

>I also wonder if eating paleo would naturally be low-salt.

My paleo approach is almost the opposite of the above: mostly lean
meats but adding fattier meats for energy and fewer plants.

It can depend on your goals as well. If you are interested in
reducing body fat (not necessarily weight) then the above diet may be too
high carb.

Phil Thrift
http://geocities.com/paleofitness