From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:44:34 -0500
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:20:01 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Paul Sand wrote:
>
>> Can overconsumption of protein lead to diabetes?
>
>I doubt it, but I don't have any actual data.
>... that
>would be 145g of glucose, which in itself is unlikely to cause
>insulin problems.

Diabetes I think is caused mainly by too long too high insulin levels,
not glucose levels.
Though protein causes a minimal glucose elevation
( e.g. beef at http://www.geocities.com/paleolix/Look_at_IS.html )
it does cause a insulin elevation.
A score of 51 in the Brand Miller et al article is still very low compared
to the industry items (baked beans, white bread, bakery, bars)
but it's even a good deal higher than ordinary (white) pasta.

I'd say for diabetes it's still very good to go to protein and fat,
but  protein is certainly not innocent.

The table data was gained on 240kcal meals, that's only 10% of a day's
amount. We don't know what would happen with real used food sizes of 800 or
1000 kcal. Might be worse (amino acid pool).

>> From the other hand I read somewhere (but I doubt it) that glucose made
>>from
>> protein is more 'friendly' than glucose from complex carbs.
>This may be because the conversion is fairly slow, so there is no
>sudden surge.

Glucose from protein... isn't all real glucose.
Only 3 amino acids of 21 are made to glucose. Others feed into different
stages of  Glycolyse/Citric acid cycle (like pyruvate or AcetylCoA).
This means the "gluco"-neogenesis energy would behave more like eaten fat
(which feeds into AcetylCoA directly).

Amadeus S.