From:
Michele Shoemaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 07:47:06 -0700
At 07:05 AM 5/15/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't think you'll find cows avoiding *anything* that looks like grass,
with or without ears.  The grasses survive by overproducing seeds, which
are blown around in the wind and scattered.  Note that birds, such as
chickens, are also quite fond of these seeds.<

Some seeds eaten by birds, and I imagine a certain amount eaten by cows and
other ruminents both domestic and wild, pass through the digestive system
without being broken down, exiting at the other end(sorry, I know it's
early) surrounded by fertilizer. Some plants have evolved seed bearing
fruit and seed structures in order to take advantage of this kind of
"transport".

Willow