From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:27:51 -0400
On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, David Karas wrote:

> Based upon what I read here many people are not able
> to do this and try to depend on formulas in books and/or what other people say.

Yes, I definitely fall into this category.  I have not yet found
a way to eat *ad libitum* without gaining body fat or going
batsh*t, as Dori puts it.  The Anchell diet has worked well for
me, but it is far from *ad libitum*.  It is very artifically
constrained, but in a way that I can deal with most of the time.

> In physiology class in college our text said that the function of the stomach
> acid (hydrochloric) was to break the protein down to amino acids. I haven't seen
> any updates that changed that.

It may be so.  Or rather, it may be that the HCl gets the protein
ready for the protease enzyme.  That wouldn't preclude the
bacteria killing function.

> I am not trying to avoid or kill bacteria, my
> immune system takes care of the balance. I thrive on "semi-spoiled meat".

I think the idea is that gastric HCl is the first component of
your immune system, and helps to explain *why* you thrive on
semi-spoiled meat.

> The type A people that I know have had the most difficulty eating raw meat.

It makes sense.

Todd Moody