Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:19:19 -0700
Stacie Tolen wrote:
> How is it possible to give only one food at a time when the child wants to
> eat absolutely everything? I have tried to follow this advice, but this
> child will grab all the food she can get her hands on and if she sees food
> she wants, and you're not sharing with her, she makes it clear that she is
> very unhappy about that. So, she is unmistakeably hungry.

It's not that you feed her only one food at a time ... you just
introduce one food at a time.  So if one week you introduce peaches,
then the next week you introduce chicken, you don't take the peaches
away.  As for the rest, you as the parent are choosing to feed your
daughter appropriate foods.  You can control the introduction of
healthy
foods just as easily as you can control her access to unhealthy foods
and poisons.  If it's not within her reach, she can't grab it. She
certainly will not go hungry ... just give her sufficient amounts of
whatever foods you have introduced. It is, of course, entirely up to
you
as to whether you do this or not, but if you choose not to and your
child is developing allergy problems, as you said she is, you will
have
a difficult time pinpointing the cause.  This is not, by the way,
advice
given solely by the American Academy of Pediatrics.  It is the advice
also given by La Leche League and others who advocate natural
parenting.
Sharon