From:
Micki Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:09:38 MST
Hello there, I just read the latest posts and wanted to share some thoughts.
There is actually a place where Paleolithic Practitioners and Vegans can find
common ground, and this would be in regards to the new genetic "therapy" or
engineering technologies. Whether it's Monsanto, Archer Daniels Midland, or
Genentech, there is the very real problem of humanity inventing itself out of
existence. If over time, fruits and vegetables have been hybridized to contain
less fiber and more sugar, the true bane of obesity and other diseases, what
would "terminator technology" and other genetic manipulations do to further
render food non nutritious, non renewable, while being "pretty" and having a
longer shelf life? The fact that today it costs more just to get decent
organic, unsprayed, non hormone injected range fed food, and the food that the
masses of poor people in this world can afford has been so tainted as to be
considered poison; this along with other factors is participating in the
further polarization and stratifying of the increasingly global society. These
genetic "goons" looming on the horizon will have an impact on Paleos and
Vegans alike. What these kinds of pseudo foods will do to the genetic makeup
and overall health of future generations I shudder to think. If they were
trying to find ways to make food more nutritious I might feel more positive
about it. But since greed, "the bottom line," and the very dysfunctional need
to control the world's food supply is the more obvious motive, I'm not at all
happy about these corporations.  I can see where a return to paleo style
eating can  actually be a step forward in perhaps healing and reversing what
might end up being a skewed devolutionary direction. It's a bigger picture
than we think of day to day. Og the caveman's brain and body was bigger,
getting more and better quality nutrients, more healthy exercise and clean
fresh air and sunlight. I am well aware of how excess carbohydrates can cause
emotional imbalances. Who can say? Perhaps if humanity had continued in HG
mode or at least in Herder mode, some of the more unsavory, violent, and
unenlightened aspects of history might have been sidestepped or avoided
altogether. By adopting the Paleolithic lifestyle of eating and passing the
word gently along or better yet proving it by our example of health and
energy, we bring the world that much closer to a better outcome.
I'm off my soapbox now,

micki