From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:39:44 EST
In a message dated 11/20/01 7:00:20 AM,Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]> writes:

<< Most people find it very difficult to stick to a very low carb (under 30
grams per day) diet. >>

Exactly what is the point you are trying to make here, when you state a few
lines later:

<<The Atkins "induction diet" (the less than 30 carb diet) is only meant for
the first two weeks.>>

I do not follow the Atkins diet, but in deference to accuracy it should be
pointed out that few diets ever devised are more misunderstood and misquoted
than the Atkins diet. It is often stated that his diet espouses "zero"
carbohydrates, and no vegetables. This is entirely untrue. It IS true, as you
stated, that there will be individual metabolic differences among people
necessitating the consumption of differing amounts of carbohydrates to reach
what he calls the "critical carbohydrate level"- the point at which ketosis
occurs and weight loss is most efficient. Nevertheless, the diet approaches
"Paleo" because it disallows grains, beans and sugar, but most certainly DOES
include many non-starchy vegetables and low sugar fruits. (Note that his diet
also includes dairy products)

<<A very active (athletic) person will need more carbohydrates than a
sedentary one, and there are inborn differences as well.>>

I wonder, among the Inuit, where the more "active" among them got their extra
carbs from? The level of carbs consumed among various members of primitive
peoples would be  determined more by their environment than by activity
level. Certainly the more active people would have consumed more calories,
but those living in the tropics would obviously be consuming a totally
different diet than those living near the Arctic Circle.

As for carbohydrates being an essential macronutrient, this is incorrect, as
you have proven yourself by your own example of the Inuit people, and further
clearly explained by Wally in his recent posts. The Arctic explorer,
Vilhjalmur Stefansson, lived for many years among the Inuit eating NOTHING
but meat, fish, and the natural fats contained therein. He, and thousands of
generations of Inuits could never have survived if carbohydrate were a
necessary macronutrient. That is not to say that carbohydrates are/were not
eaten in other primitive cultures, as they are, to varying extents, but they
are NOT necessary to survival, whereas protein and fats are.

Again, I am certainly not advocating that everyone should be eating an Inuit
type diet. I am merely pointing out the fact that carbohydrates are NOT an
essential macronutrient for survival. It is far more relevant to this list to
be discussing which types of carbs are healthy versus dangerous, but that is
for a different discussion, and I need to get my yam and apple casserole,
pumpkin soup, and cranberry/orange relish started for Thanksgiving!

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY