Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:14:26 -0400
>>>Because the logical implication is that the Paleolithic diet is probably the ideal
neurodevelopmental diet, and may be the ideal diet for children with autism and lead
poisoning and ADD. ,,,,,, there are a number of reasons to be hopeful that a paleo diet
can help these children. I'm sure some of our lurkers and active list have experience with
these children with Paleo- what's your experience?

A paleo diet would be ideal for anyone--who want optimal nutrition to build a healthy
mind/body.  As you well know, meats, vegetables, fresh fruits, nuts, and unaltered
(friendly) fats provide building blocks for a body not found in Fritos, Cheetos,
Cheeze-Whiz, Pop Tarts, French Fries, potato and corn chips, Sugar Frosted Flakes,
bologna, white bread, candy bars, soda pop..... (I could go on all day....).

Don has recommended (flavored) to parents with kids who have ADD that they take cod liver
oil as a daily dietary supplement.  Many parents who've done this have noticed a drammatic
improvement in the attention span, behavior and functioning of their kids, usually within
1-2 weeks.  (One kid we know used to tell his mom, if she forgets to give him his mint or
cherry flavored cod liver oil before breakfast, *Mommy, you forgot my special oil?*)
Note:  If a kid is taking cod liver oil (or about to) don't spoil it by making an uggly
face over it.   Plenty of parents have stopped their kids from willingingly taking the
stuff by screwing up their faces and spoiling the good mood!!!!  Flavored cod liver oil is
tolerable......we like lemon flavored., Carlson's brand on veggies.)

When these same parents give their kids protein rich snacks and more protein-rich meals,
they also see a marked improvement in behavior/attitude/scholastic achievement/immunity.
Also, the kids on cod liver oil usually get sick less often, esp. if they eat more meat,
fish, fowl and more veggies and fruits.

I've shown many grateful parents how to make meats, vegetables and fruits appealing to
kids.  It is very rewarding to find parents who want to change, are willing to buy new
foods, (learn to) prepare  wholesome foods, and help their family members (esp. kids)
develop healthy eating habits.  (I'll tell all when my cookbook(s) come out..... :-)))

Rachel