Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:28:31 -0500
Todd Moody wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Barbara Burt wrote:
>
> > Because we're so brainwashed towards lowfat diets, when you said your wife
> > was hungry, I just had to wonder if she was avoiding fat on the paleo diet?
>
> Not at all.  She ate lots of chicken, with skin, and plenty of
> nuts, especially walnuts and almonds.
This does sound like too much protein and not enough fat.

> >  I've seen several people say they didn't lose weight until they increased
> > the amount of fat consumed.  Some hypothesize it's like water - your body
> > retains water if you're not drinking enough - maybe the same with fat???
>
> I think it's like this: If you don't get enough fat, then almost
> all calories are from protein.  But protein is not an efficient
> fuel source so the metabolism slows, as it would in starvation.
> So fat is needed for fuel to keep the metabolism up.  I think
> the problem was simply too much food, in relation to her size and
> activity patterns.
First, some of the protein gets converted to glucose (I know that
you know this, just saying if for completeness). In general, unless
I attempt something new and different, I do well on a diet that
has a good amount of protein in it, but the bulk of the calories
comes from fat, especially if I overeat.

> The question is why was she eating so much food.  I don't know
> the answer, but clearly her body wanted something that it wasn't
> getting.
Again, I would guess fat, but not really sure not knowing more.
I HAVE seen people (almost all women) having a hard time loosing
any weight even in ketosis. However, these were also people who
insisted they followed the diet properly and did everything else
properly, but couldn't be bothered to actually keep track of it,
so I couldn't find out what was different about them.

Ilya