From:
Scott Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 15:49:45 -0700
On Wed, 13 May 1998, Gregg Carter wrote:

> I'm having a hard time ignoring the research showing the negative impacts
> of transfatty acids and saturated fat on cardiovascular health.
> Eliminating the first, of course, is no problem on a Neandethin kind of
> program.  But beef and pork are load with saturated fat.  Right now, I'm
> eating fish (especially salmon and tuna), skinless chicken and turkey; and
> limiting my red meat to ground venison (which is low in saturated fat
> compared to beef); I also make my omlettes with only half the egg yolks--
> again guided by my concerns about saturated fat.  Does this sound
> reasonable?

Hi Gregg.  Awhile back I took a class to become a nutritionist and according
to the materials in the course, a high carb diet may actually interfere with
the body's ability to process saturated fat.  If this is true, it is quite
possible that this admonition against saturated fats simply doesn't apply to
a paleo diet.  I also read that men with the lowest intake of saturated fat
have the highest incidence of stroke.  Also, according to Dr. Atkins
newsletter, the Harvard Nurses Study, a study of over 10000 nurses, turned
up the fact that women with the lowest intake of fat (don't remember if it
specified sat or unsat) have the highest incidence of breast cancer.  This
fact was not publicized and was apparently put down to being an anomaly
since it flies in the face of CW (conventional wisdom).

Also, a great deal of evidence now is pointing toward elevated homocystene
and triglyceride levels as much more dangerous than cholesterol.  Without
simple carbs, triglyceride levels plummet dramatically.  I don't know much
about homocystene vis-a-vis Neanderthin but I know that B vitamins basically
eliminate the threat.  Anyone else know anything about this?

Anyway, it is quite possible that 10 years from now, cholesterol will be
forgotten as a villain.  I am lucky in that simple-carb-free diets seem to
be great for my cholesterol levels.  If you find this not to be the case for
yourself, you will just have to weigh the existing evidence and make your
own decision.

Cheers,

Scott Maxwell