From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:21:42 -0500
On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Ken Stuart wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has information on both the percentage of saturated
> fat out of total fat in the Paleolithic Diet (ie historically, not now) and also
> the total saturated fat consumption?

Opinions seem to vary quite a bit on this one.  Eaton and Cordain
appear to believe that saturated fat consumption would have been
rather low.  Ray Audette claims in Neanderthin that consumption
of animal fat (the main source of saturated fat, except for
tropical oils, which aren't particularly relevant to evolutionary
diet) would be lower than typical modern diet, due to the absence
of dairy fats, but also recommends liberal use of these fats,
e.g., in the processing of pemmican.

It seems that availability of saturated fat would vary much
according to location and season.

Todd Moody