From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 08:14:36 -0500
I know this might be a little wide of topic, but I just found it so
interesting that I had to share!  I was looking through web sites dealing
with aquarium fish husbandry and I found one dealing with nutrition.
 Halfway through the article, I came across the following:

"Carbohydrates: These make up 20-40% of most commercial foods, such as
starch & sugars. They are apparently not essential for growth, but are
inexpensive sources for energy. Most fish tolerate 30-40% of carbohydrate
in their diet, but a condition similar to diabetes results when unbalanced
foods are fed. Too much carbs in the diet of young fish can prevent them
from obtaining enough of other essential nutrients. High levels of raw
starch like those in cereal grains, are digested incompletely by fish. They
can even interfere with the digestion of other nutrients. Floating foods
usually contain high levels of carbs to facilitate processing."

Isn't it amazing that this information comes so easily to people who are
 keeping animals, yet so few seem to figure out the same thing about
people?  For any pet, the most knowledgeable people will tell you that to
keep your pet in the best health, feed it what it would eat in the wild.
 So why is that leap so rarely made to humans?  I remember telling my wife
so many times over the past few years (before I changed my diet) that dog
food was all wrong; where the hell was a wolf going to get corn?  Yet, I'd
been so brainwashed by the low-fat propaganda that I never realized that
the same applied to me!

(The quote comes from Cathy's Tropical Fishkeeping Homepage, which I would
quote the URL for but I can't seem to get through the firewall at the
moment.)

John Pavao