From:
Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:41:27 -0500
>The
>way they collect the sap hasn't changed in thousands of years: they simply
>drill a small hole in the tree (which could be done easily with a sharpened
>bone or stone) and then they put a small beak-like metal thingie, then they
>hang a pail below it. The syrup is done by boiling the sap, nothing is added
>or cut out. That's why I would tend to think it's paleo.
>However, the sap is collected only in springtime, which would make it a
>rather seasonal product.

As a former New Englander, this is something I know something about.  Raw
maple sap has very little flavor.  It has to be boiled down something
like-30-to-1 to become syrup.

So, I would say it is NOT paleo because (1) it doesn't pass the
naked-with-a-sharp-stick test:  you really need to do some work to make it.
 And (2) it's mostly sugar, which as we know, is not something you want to
eat a lot of in any form, especially highly concentrated ones.