From:
PLVentura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:32:49 -0400
> I am fortunate to live near a very large tree that has
> abundant quantities of chestnuts every fall.  My eldest son brought me =
> bagfuls of them last year but I had no idea whether or not they were =
> safe to eat so we tossed them out.  I've looked on some internet sites =
> and some say they are safe to eat when prepared properly while other =
> sites say they are not safe.  How is one to know because if they are =
> safe to eat and I am doing a Paleo diet I do not want to pass them up if =
> they could become a wild foodsource for me

As long as you are sure they're American Chestnuts (or a European or
Chinese species that a neighbor may have planted), you can cut a
criss-cross into the shell and roast them.  I freeze the excess and
lightly nuke them all winter and spring for a snack or to make a little
flour to mix with a nut crust for veggie, fruit or meat pies.  Just be
certain you are not confusing them with the large Horse
Chestnut/Buckeye.  Those are essentially inedible, according to most of
the references I've come across.  (One old reference says, "The
[American] Indians roasted the nuts [Horse chestnuts] among hot stones,
thus loosening the shells, peeled and mashed them, and then leached the
meal with water for several days."  But most folks say to avoid them.)

Lois