From:
Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 05:36:00 -0500
90% of the time span of fully modern humans was spent following a
  big game use adaptation.

from U. Iowa online course on human origins.

   http://www.uiowa.edu/~anthro/origins/campus/campus.html

http://www.uiowa.edu/~anthro/origins/campus/lec22.html -

  The interesting thing about the animals eaten by H. erectus is that
  they are almost always large animals. We don't
  find the bones of rabbits, but instead the bones of woolly mammoths,
  giant deer, bison, and other large mammals

  So, this adaptation is usually referred to as the big game hunting
  tradition. However, since we aren't really sure
  that they were actually hunting, I prefer to call this the big game
  use tradition.

  From the animals found in butchery sites, H. erectus was able to
  hunt or otherwise exploit an astonishing number
  of large animals. At Zhoukoudian there is evidence that they
  butchered and ate elephants, deer, woolly rhinos, and
  giant beavers.

Philip Thrift
http://www.paleofitness.com