From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 07:47:09 +0900
Esben Gr¯nborg Brun wrote:

> From: "Tom Barber"
>
> > Does anyone have experience with lo-carb camping food?

In the old days I used primarily snickers candy bars. Hard to beat for
concentrated calories!

Recently I fry up a few pounds of pork chops in olive oil, then put it
all, oil and meat all together into a sealable container. Add a few
spices to the hot mixture...After it cools I put it into the fridge to
get hard.

I also freeze raw meat and wrap it well to transport up the mountain.
After I arrive I set up camp and take out the meat to thaw, then grill
it over a fire. Wonderful. But last time I tried that it unexpectedly
rained all night so I couldn't get the fire going. I ate the beef raw
(yuck) but passed on the pork. Fortunately I had brought along several
emergency snickers, and a bunch of mixed seeds and nuts, so even
though it was wet and cold I was OK.

Seeds and nuts are high energy. I think I will try frying pork, seeds
and nuts all together and see if it tastes good...