From:
Donovan Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:50:31 -0600
> If an adult can be convinced that a cola and potato diet is healthy, won't
> they quickly learn it's not after adopting the diet?

How many years has it taken for society as a whole to NOT learn that low
fat, high carb isn't working?  When I drink Coke, I feel awake and the
sugar cravings go away.  It doesn't last long, but it *does* feel better
for a little while.

>  If electricians and
> civil engineers did as poor a job as dietetic researchers have done over
> the
> past 60+ years, I think that most of us would be questioning the licensing
> process by which they received their credentials. As a culture, we would be
> looking for alternatives.
>
> I agree completely.  If houses started burning down and bridges started
falling all over the place, we'd all be yelling for solutions.  But what
would those solutions be?  Would we want to say, "Screw regulating it.
 Anyone can design and install wiring in a house."?  I think that might
exacerbate the problem.

I think we're headed in the right direction.  Twice now, you've made
suggestions that changed my eating habits and fixed serious health problems
I was struggling with.  Both times your advice conflicted 100% with what my
doctor advised and both times it completely fixed the problem.

I just think that we, on a societal level, need to try to make these
changes safely.  How we can do that and still leave people free to explore
the issue, I'm not sure.

Donovan