From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:11:39 -0500
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:12:18 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>

wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

>> Suggestion for this: to build a factor of PUFA/(MUFA+SFA).
>> Then multiply the ratio so far by this - this will take the SFA

>>disturbances
>> into account.
>
>Let's assume that Erasmus is right in his claim that too much SFA
>interferes with EFA activity, and/or that too much SFA
>contributes to insulin resistance.

Actually it's not SFA, but MUFA (18:1) which competes with
LA and LNA (18:2 and 18:3) for the basic EFA processing enzymes:
D6D,elongase, and D5D.
SFA only comes into account by beeing converted into OA (18:1),
and this happens only from 18:0 and maybe 16:0 (via 18:0).

The relations for "stopping EFA activity" was 95% to 5%EFA, btw and the
study seems to have been made with LA.  Below 5% LA it appears that no
processed LA was measured.
Therefore I adjusted my suggested factor to PUFA/(MUFA+18:0+16:0).
Minus 0.05. This turns negative if the ratio falls below 5% EFA.

> The challenge, then, is to
>determine what might be called the "SFA load" of a given diet,
>and this is more complicated than just adding up the dietary SFA.

This argumentation is correct, but the newly made SFA has to be elongated
until 18:0 before 18:1 can be reached (weakens this influence).

On the other hand, as you told before some of the eaten SFA
would be transported away by usage. If not the unsaturated types are beeing
used more rapidly as can be read in the books.

>.. glucose that can't be quickly used or stored as
>glycogen is converted to SFA...

This and what you wrote in your other post assumes that most of the time
the glycogen stores would be full.
Why so? I think this is a maybe common , but pathological situation.

Glycogen stores a good for some 4 days of glucose usage (1500 kcal
according to Walsh). They could easily provide for the full time between
any meals, for *full* supply, not only the 25 percent for the brain(etc).

But it looks, as if glycongen stores would *not* be as readily available as
desired. Why? That's a very basic question. Resolving it wold help a lot of
problems, particularly against weight/obesity.

One stopper for glycogen storage usage is certainly the custom of frequent
meals. Glycogen can't be used if insulin is up, and it is up by any meal.

Secondly, I think the stores fill too quick, because the whole body cells
(that's 75%) often seem to refuse burning glucose That is insulin
resistance. You (and Walsh and Lutz) seem to assume this overnight.
One explanation would be in the cell wall study you have cited: less
permeable cell walls don't permit enough glucose to enter.
(that's an explanation for the contribution of SFA to insulin resistance).

The third, we spoke about before.
Low vitamin levels for the glycogen decreasing functions.
It was B6 and zinc as I recall.
Both tend to be better in supply with a paleo diet - with more natural
items, including more meat, less (unprocessed) grains.

regards,

Amadeus