From:
Joseph Berne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:58:52 -0500
I don't know if there is research into the 36 hour limit (there might be) or
just a common sense sort of idea that without protein intake your body will
start to dip into muscle stores eventually to get the amino acids it needs
for repairs and upkeep and so on.  There really might be more to it than
that, but I have no personal interest in longer fasts so I never looked into
it.

I can tell you that my body responded better to fasts after 6 months than it
did right away, and now I don't even feel hungry in the mornings or
afternoons unless I ate poorly the previous night (which for me means too
many carbs).