From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:10:46 -0500
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 23:46:56 +0000, Jack Oughton
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I want to detox myself and my environment. I need to master my urges as
>well.
>
>Any of you guys got any wisdom? This is a very big problem for me

Set up a separate fridge, freezer and pantry shelves if you can. That way
when you open the fridge or look at the shelves you won't be tempted by
modern foods. Try not to let your parents' food overflow into your fridge. One
thing I've noticed is that a lot of people who eat modern foods tend to cram
their fridges with junk food and let what little fresh food is in it rot. It's seems
to be a sort of compulsive-hoarder mindset that modern foods promote in the
brain. If you let the modern fooders into your space they'll push your healthy
foods to the back and cram it full of junk.

Try to create a separate cooking area, such as an outdoor grille, as well as a
separet food storage area. Also, if it's OK with your parents, keep fresh fruits
and/or nuts out in a visible area of your kitchen, such as the counter in a nice
serving dish, so that they are always handy when the tempting modern foods
come out. Try to make them foods that your parents also like, so that you
tempt them to eat more Paleo and so they don't mind them being on their
counter.

The advice that was already given to always keep plenty of Paleo food on
hand is also good. A good portion of it should be food that doesn't spoil
quickly and can be eaten without cooking, such as beef jerky or pemmican,
nuts and dried fruit, so you'll always have some Paleo fast food handy and so
that you won't let a lot of Paleo food, which tends to be expensive, go bad.
It's good to buy the least amounts of fresh foods at a time that you can, so
that you eat the freshest food you can afford, since the fresher it is, the
more nutrients it contains. You pay a higher price, but you get more nutrients
for your dollar. However, even eating old Paleo food is better than
eating "fresh" modern food.