From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:25:20 -0400
On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Anna L. Abrante wrote:

>  Full name is "Food in Antiquity, A survey of the Diet of
> Early Peoples", authors Don Brothwell and Patricia Brothwell.  ISBN
> 0-8018-5740-6.

Thank you.  It sounds interesting.  One reason why I ask is that
D'Adamo (the blood type diet guy) has shown that foods that are
botanically closely related may have different immuno-active
properties, i.e., different lectins.  Although I can't agree with
all of D'Adamo's conclusions I think his work on lectins is
important, particularly from the standpoint of paleo diet.

Neanderthin is ultimately based on the theory that "foreign
proteins" are to be avoided but is very vague about what proteins
are foreign and what those proteins do in the body, other than
to cause "immune system disorders."  D'Adamo is vague too, but
somewhat less vague than Neanderthin.  He is able to document
that food lectins cause cellular agglutination, which in turn
activates the immune system.  He is also able to suggest, but not
document rigorously, how in some cases this leads to specific
health issues.  Unfortunately his work on lectins is linked to a
dubious (in my opinion) theory about metabolic types.

Anyway, it would be most interesting to see if the introduction
of certain foods in certain areas in any way corresponds to the
changes in distribution of blood types.  If there is, then that
would imply that the foods create selection pressure in favor of
those blood types, which would tend to corroborate D'Adamo's
general approach, on lectins at least.

Todd Moody