From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:36:07 -0800
--- Stardust <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I like to eat a can of sardines in oil (have tried
> the one in water, for some reason I don't like the
> taste of it)  at least 2 - 3 a week.  My question to
> the list is:  What do you all do with the oil?  Do
> you throw it out or do you use it in some way?

You don't want to throw the oil out: it has absorbed
some of the Omega-3's and other good stuff, not to
mention flavor.  (You know, like they always said
about the liquid from the canned veggies that none of
us eat any more.)  Since I usually eat my sardines
either on salad or with stir-fried veggies, I just
dump the whole can in, oil and all.  Same thing if I
throw them in a quiche or make a fish loaf/fish
patties; just use them undrained.

I also treat canned salmon and mackerel the same way.

Andrea