From:
Mary Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:03:24 -0600
Christy wrote:

> Has anyone here experience with breeding your own rabbits for consumption?
As
> hunting hardly exists here in Holland (only a few are allowed do it) I
have no
> experience with killing an animal myself.

    You talked about raising rabbits for food.
    Back in the late 1960s, my husband brought home a couple of rabbits he
had used in an experiment (producing an antigen involving poly-l-lysine -
used to stain cells for use with a microscope). In the middle of the
experiment he found out one of the rabbits was female & pregnant. That
littler was lost.
    Since the rabbits were no good for others to use, we carried them around
with us wherever we moved to. In one place we were, the female got in a mama
way again. We didn't separate the male right away, & she delivered before we
could get them apart.
    That is one sight you don't want to see. The father got ahold of the
little ones & killed them all. The naked little bodies strewn around the
cage was pathetic. A couple of them showed parts of them had been eaten.
    Basically, just take the proper precautions & you should be okay. Just
remember that rabbits are not the best source of fat - why people talk of
being "rabbit starved."

Mary Anne Unger