From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:27:56 -0800
->Fruit, on the other hand, is a potential pitfall. While intuitively it
would
>seem that fruit must be ok to eat, I see a problem here. The fruit we have
is
>not Paleo, in other words, it has been cultivated over millennia. There
were
>no juicy pears, oranges, plums, strawberries 40k years ago. These fruits
have
>been bred to have a high (guess what) sugar content (fructose). Wild fruits
>(more like berries) are tiny and bitter. So do not eat too many sweet
fruits.

I go with you on the detrimental effect of the breeding of fruits  .
BUt you don't know your berries very well
wild , strawberries, blueberries ,thimble berries ,blackberries  even salmon
berries are sweet too.
But the taste and flavor  is richer than just sweet ,  we can detect a
richness of minerals there. that is lacking in overdomesticated fruits.
That is for the temperate climates but mediterranean climates and   tropical
climate wild fruits can be very sweet too ( pommegranate, figs or durian)
( i remember tasting a wild fruit in India that was very sweet )
There is a quality in the sweetness of wild fruits that is very different
than the sweetness in  artificially bred fruits. This quality makes the wild
fruit difficult to overeat because it change on a repulsive quality when
body needs are met.
jean-claude