From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 19:49:36 +0200
Mary wrote:
>Except for Irish and other Celts. I think Don or someone said that Celtic
>people have had  wheat only very recently (relative to some  other
>populations)  and have a very high rate of gluten intolerance (and also
>schizophenia)
Who sais (or has references) that celts had a "high rate of gluten
intolerance
and schizophenia"??
I'd like to underline that Celts are *not* just Irish or some "late
developpers"
who developed the wheat agriculture "only very recently".
Especially, because I personally am from Bavaria, which is (below the
Danube)
part of the country where the Celtic culture originally emerged from.
"Celtic" is the term, used for an iron age culture, including La Tene
(Swiss)
and Hallstadt (Austria) lasting the 1000 years from 1000bc to 15 bc
in middle Europe. Celtic Culture then spread very successful all over
Europe
especially known in todays France and Spain.

The special thing about Ireland and Scotland is only, that these
"edge"-Parts from Europe were reached at last by the celts.
And that the last celtic parts remained untouched from roman emperium.
The Celtic culture is a full agricultural culture (with a very little
percentage
of hunting in the vicinity).
As before was the copper age cultures.
As before were the neolithic cultures (for ex. Linearband, Glockenbecker).
There were already 3500 years of pure neolithic culture *before* the
celts.

I suspect all European countries to have a good part of celtic influence
in their genes (maybe except basques).

btw....
>>different answers.  For example, people of European
>> extraction have been eating wheat much longer than they have been

What neolithic people used as "wheat" was mainly emmer and spelt,
relatives only to todays "wheat" what couses so much problems to many
people, who were eating wheat-part-products every single day in their live
before turning "paleo" or "neurodermitis".
Many other plants (including lentils and flax) were here from the
first neolithic moment too.
These original plants are adapted (as far as that's possible) since 6400
years
or about 300 generations.
Sorry, that's neolithic information and not paleolithic, but i think
it's still important when we are concious of some sort of food adaption.

regards

Amadeus
(late Celt....., late Cro Magnon)

---