From:
"Dr. Ron Hoggan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:46:25 -0600
Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:30 PM
William said:

Seriously, people have been eating pork for many thousands of years with
no known ill effects.
What would be the point of a study of something so well proven?

The question is evidence that some will believe anything.

Hi William,

People have been eating grains for thousands of years too. They were
considered the foundation upon which modern civilization was built. We had
no idea that they were causing illness until very recently (65 years or so)
and many physicians, dietitians, and other health care professionals etc.
still don't seem to believe it. Diets dominated by whole grain foods are
still prescribed for the entire western world, and in the context of many
ailments that cry out for research into whether grain is a causal or
contributing factor.

Similarly, for many years patients with thrombosis were given blood
thinners. It just made sense - if you have blood clots blocking blood flow,
thinning the blood should be the correct treatment. A decade or so ago, some
upstart medical researcher decided to subject that notion to investigation.
He or she found that blood thinners released the clots from the vessel wall
so they could circulate to the brain and cause deadly strokes.

I see nothing wrong with questioning assumptions of long standing. While I
believe pork to be a safe food for human consumption, I would welcome
research that subjected that notion to rigorous investigation.

Questioning long-standing assumptions is not evidence of gullibility, as you
suggest. Conversely, it may be evidence of an open and enquiring mind.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
co-author of Dangerous Grains ISBN: 1-58333-129-8
http://www.dangerousgrains.com