From:
Phil Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:33:17 -0500
Every year, I grow two varieties of shiso leaf in my garden.  One is
green, and one is purple.(I purchase the seeds from Johnnys Selected
Seeds).   They are both high in calcium, but extremely pungent to the
taste.  I usually harvest the leaves, dry them in the sun for a day, and
then place them in bundles of 50 leaves at a time, and wrap a string
around the stem to hold together. Then, I stack the bundles  in a glass
jar, with salt and plum vinegar.  It is a Japanese pickling technique I
learned years ago.  The pickled leaves are great in salads, chopped up
into guacamole, sashimi (raw fish).

I see no reason why shiso leaf, or the oil wouldn't be paleo, but check
to see that the oil isn't diluted with a more polyunsaturated variety
such as sesame oil, which is commonly used in Japanese cooking.

Judy Genova, cavegirl