From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:15:24 -0800
> I agree, our teeth are multi-purpose and are adapted
> to a diet of food items
> which need less mechanical impact. Probably because
> of cooking and
> swithing to more tender food (as leaves/bark/pith).
> However our teeth have grinding capabilities.

Yes, and a dog has gnawing and crunching capabilities,
which are similar to our grinding capabilities. The
difference in not just the teeth, but also the
"looseness" of our jaw which allows a slight
sideways-back-and-forth motion.

> But I can't see any similarity to the teeth of any
> carnivore.

Hmmm. When I feel my molars, I notice a lot of fairly
sharp ridges along the inside and outside edges. When
I feel my dog's molars (when he let's me :), I feel a
lot of sharp ridges along the edges of his molars.
They are sharper and much more pronounced than mine,
but similar nonetheless. Last time I remember feeling
a horse's molars, I recall they felt nearly smooth to
me. (Sorry, I have no cats, so I can't do the same
test with them).

My dog beats me in the "canine teeth" category, but I
got a pretty good set of "slicing" teeth up front.
Allows me to "cut" into meat whereas my dog has to
"tear" the meat.

> A sheep isn't a grain eater it eats unripe grass and
> herbs.

Oops, I should have written "grass eater". Oh, wait a
minute, on another post didn't you argue that "To eat
grains is to eat grass - a certain part of it."?
Sorry, that must have been another subject....:)

> I think human theeth don't look like grain eater and
> not like meat eaters'.

Again, we are omnivores, and our teeth have developed
to make use of our amazing adaptability. We exhibit
some of the traits, in various degress, of both.

> So, the dog has a hard time to grind because he
> didn't develop grinding
> teeth. I think this is because his diet was
> different.

His diet is a "limited version" of our own. A dog
exhibits "some" of the traits of an omnivore, but
still has a greater requirement and preference for meat.