From:
Madeline Stratton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:23:00 EST
In a message dated 2/24/00 4:00:28 PM, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

<< If salt plays only a trivial role in natural human nutrition,
then it is a mystery to me that part of the surface of our
tongues is dedicated to salt sensors, making it possible for us
to identify the salt-bearing foods. >>

I am curious if anyone really knows how much salt our ancestors ate, and
where they got it from. Many traditional nutritionists think no salt is
necessary at all, but I thought it was a necessary component of our
biochemical makeup. It would seem rational that peoples living near the sea
would get plenty of salt from fish and seaweeds, but what about inland
dwellers? I had never thought before about part of the tongue dedicated to
sensing salt; of course there must be a biological reason for this. Sweet
sensors would naturally lead us to consume fruits high in vitamin C, which
humans cannot produce while most other animals can. And detecting bitter and
sour tastes would probably provide us some protection from consuming
poisonous or spoiled foods. So, what about salt? How much do we really need?

Maddy Stratton