From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:08:48 -0500
From: "Todd Moody"
> Well, thinking out loud, I would expect that ketosis would be
> interrupted until glycogen stores were depleted again.

For the last month I've been eating at carb levels that just this last
spring would have put me straight into ketosis and kept me there.  Now I
can't seem to get into ketosis at all.

Or is paleo ketosis somehow different from ketosis induced by non-paleo
diets?

Sometimes, I'll get a brief, fleeting whiff of ketones on my breath after my
morning hill climb or afternoon exercise class, or once in a while I'll wake
up with the taste in my mouth (even though I eat my daily carbs at the
evening meal).   I occasionally will test w/ketostix, but they're usually
negative or register maybe, maybe a faint trace.   I don't know what's going
on here.  Neoglucogenesis?  I feel absolutely wonderful--renewed energy,
spirit, improved exercise tolerance, you name it.  Much better than I ever
felt when I was in ketosis early last spring, but that was before paleo.
I'm not losing any scale weight, which was the whole intent of getting into
ketosis, but I'm lifting heavier weights more regularly and may be building
muscle.  Some clothes I bought last month are a wee bit looser, but this may
be due to improved muscle tone.

It's hard to separate out what the feeling so good is attibutable to.  I
ditched all the anti-oxidant supplements back in early August after reading
that they in themselves can cause fatigue by killing off too many free
radicals.   And it's hard to figure out if I'm in ketosis or not.  By past
experience with ketosis, which was not very pleasurable, I would say no.
But by carb level and past experience, I would think yes.  What gives?  Any
ideas?

Theola