From:
Wally Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:45:37 -0500
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 06:04:07 -0500 Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Still I wonder what happens to lactose that's not digested by the
> human itself. I thought bacteria will take care of it.
> It I ate a spoon of lactose, I think a lot of it will be left over
> and not be digested by an enormous surge of lactase I may produce.
>
> It could be, the culprit is a very unfriendly bacteria which
> thrives on the lactose.

Unaltered by lactase, the lactose begins to ferment.  The gasses produced
by that process, cause the pain and other "digestive disturbances."  The
rapid increase of these gasses after ingestion of a measured amount of
lactose, is the indicator used to diagnose lactose intolerance.  This
measurement used to be made by blood tests, but is now done by a much
more simple breath test.  This breath test is so sensitive that they
instruct the patient not only to fast in preparation, but not even to
brush their teeth.

I have no idea if it's possible for a lactase producing person to
"overdose" on lactose, producing the same symptoms.  Knowing the possible
consequences if you succeeded, I would urge you not to try...

I don't see why you persist in offering alternative theories for a simple
and well understood medical condition.  It's not bacteria, it's the
absence of lactase, nothing more, nothing less.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.