From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:31:53 CDT
In the last few weeks, I've been using "rabbit starvation" to move my
bodyfat levels below 10% bodyfat.  I have gone from 10.5% BF to 9.0% BF
(measured by a 7 site pinch test - I'm too poor to drop $25 for the body
submersion test that the hospital does) in the last 3 weeks by doing only
25min of cardio ED.

Originally, some on the paleo mailing list said that rabbit starvation
wasn't good for fat loss, or at least something along those lines.  Well,
right now I'm eating only lean meats with just a few vegies.  My fat intake
is virtually non existant with the exception of 1T cod liver oil ED.

After using a ketosix strip, I found that I'm pretty deep into ketosis.  At
first that seemed odd b/c I'm not eating much fat, but now I wonder if the
ketone bodies being produced are from *bodyfat* being burned for fuel
instead of ingested fat (someone one who knows more about ketosis can jump
in here and explain why this is!)??

To be honest, I feel perfectly fine while using this diet.  And losing fat
without doing a lot of cardio is fine by me.  I think I could continue to
use fat w/o any cardio at all, so long as I keep my infrequent weight
training at a high intensity.  Starting tomorrow, I'm going to quit doing
cardio entirely, and just leave my workouts to a full body workout performed
once per week and see if I can lower by BF further.  Without the cardio, I
know my thyroid will downregulate, but I think fat will still come off b/c
my body is forced to make glucose out of the protein I'm eating, and this
just can't fuel the body for very long, even at rest (so hopefully my body
will dip into some of the fat stores for fuel).

BTW, I know that a diet this low in fat is not heatlhy.  I'm merely using it
to shed bodyfat, and when I reach my goal I'll go back to a higher fat,
lower protein diet.

I just wanted to mention my experience b/c I felt that the rabbit starvation
diet strategy got a bad rap.  For me, I find that the high protein, low
carb, low fat diet removes BF w/o doing much cardio.  I'm getting sick of
doing cardio, so that's fine by me.

An overweight friend of mine is also achieving great results on this type of
diet.  His results were what actually lead me to give it a try.

Justin

ps. I forgot to mention something.  After 3 or 4 days of low carbing like
this, my muscles start to look very flat.  So I throw in a high carb meal or
two when necessary.  I do this with banana and blackberries - bananas to
refuel muscle glycogen and blackberries b/c they taste sweet.