From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:14:05 PST
In Dr. Mandell's "5 day Allergy relief System", a book I read while trying
to work through my food allergies, he refers to another Dr.'s work which
stated that alchoholism is actually an addiction caused by an allergy to a
food (carb food) included in the alchoholic's favorite drink.  Dr. Mandell
is one of many allergists (but not in the mainstream) that thinks that one
can become addicted to foods one is allergic to.  In my personal experience,
(I have extensive food allergies, which seem to be slowly improving with the
paleo diet) this appears to be so.  (I don't drink alchohol, but have become
addicted to certain carb foods).  The paleo diet seems to have solved the
problem, even though I eat a ton of carbs on it (in the form of fruit), so I
think that perhaps the addiction that people are running into with the SAD
diet are allergic addictions, not carb addictions.  Course, each to their
own.  By "allergy" I mean "an adverse reaction to a substance that most
others don't react adversely to" and not specifically an IgE type
immuno-response.  Although I have many, many type IgE allergies (runs in my
family... <sigh>) I also have/had a few adverse reactions which did not show
up on any of the IgE tests, but did coorelate fairly well to the IgG tests I
got with Immuno-Labs in Florida.  These were the addictive allergies in my
experience, the ones where I'd actually DREAM about the food in question (or
dishes which contained it), and be slightly ill until I'd eaten it, only to
be ill again a few hours later.  It took weeks to stop this cycle.

Also I might add that my body-fat composition is improving (approaching the
ideal HG of 5-10%, now at 13.1%) even though I'm eating pounds of fruit a
day (I have cut back a little since my last measurement because eating too
much fruit causes, well, other problems...)

Anyway, thought I'd throw this food allergy concept in the fray because it
was very useful to me.

Erik

Erik