From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 09:40:57 CST
> > Now I have a question about fat.  Neanderthin is very up on fat.  But
> > weren't most animals availiable to the hunter-gather during paleo-times
>much
> > leaner than now?  Could there still be a problem with eating
>substantially
> > more fat than our ancestors ate?

IMHO, eating more fat than our ancestors would only be probelmatic if we ate
the wrong types of fat, in the wrong amounts, in the wrong ratios.  As far
as the paleo diet is concerned, I believe fats can be broken down into 3
main categories: (1) nuts and seeds, (2) oils, and (3) meats.

Myself, I get organic nuts and seeds from Sun Organic Farms (800-269-9888)
Nuts and seeds provide vital vitamins, minerals, protein calcium,
phosphorus, potassium, and iron.

Next, the type of oil that you should use is dependent upon the types of
nuts you're eating.  For example, if you eating predominantly w-6 (FYO, w =
omega) nuts and seeds(e.g. peanuts, sunflower, grape seeds, hickory,
safflower) then you'll want a predominatly w-3 unrefined oil (e.g. flax
800-446-2110 FLORA). On the other hand, if you're mixing w-6 nuts/seeds with
w-3 nuts/seeds, you'll want an oil with a more balanced blend of EFAs such
as Udo's Choice Perfected Oil Blend (800-446-2110 FLORA) which has a w-3 to
w-6 ratio of 2:1 as opposed to the 4:1 seen in flax oil.

The meat part is a little trickier.  If the meat in question is organic
(hormone + antiobiotic free and free-range), then the fat in the meat will
be loaded with EFAs, vitamins, minerals, proteins, and lots of other
goodies.  But if we're talking about processed meat from animals that are
massed produced and fed sickly diets, then their meat will be sickly, also.
"All food processed and altered from their natural state carry part of the
story of fatty degeneration." - Udo Erasmus, Fats that Heal Fats that Kill

Hope this helps.  I'm still new to this, so please correct any mistakes.

I have a question.  Appearantly, hardline paleo dieters don't eat some nuts
because they're actually legumes.  What nuts are these (I've heard peanuts
mentioned before)?  Why do paleo dieters think these legumes are bad for our
bodies?

Thanks,
Justin Hasselman