Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:31:53 -0500
>Ro,
>
>I see your input on the list and I'm wondering; how have things been going
>for you lately?  Have you noticed great improvements?  If so, share!  The
>same goes out for all newbies.  Keep us up to date on your progress.
>
>Dori Zook

Hi, Dori.  Thanks for asking :)  Btw, let me take this time to thank
everyone who has helped me, answered questions, etc.  I would've said a
separate "thank you" each time, but didn't want to list-clutter.

I'm doing pretty well, actually.  Today is day nineteen eating paleo.  I
had a bit of a crisis early on, when everything seemed impossible.  There
were some tears involved.  Rachel was a big help.  I'm using her
nutritional/cooking coaching services; that will be a big aid in getting me
in a groove.

Medically speaking, there have been some real improvements already.  My
GERD seems to have gone away.  My arthritis is substantially better, with
more joint mobility and less swelling.  I haven't had a headache since
going paleo, and I've been sleeping more soundly.  My back hurts less while
standing already; this relates to having lost weight, especially in my
abdomen.  I hurt less, in general, so I've been able to be more active.  My
mood seems improved as well.  I feel calmer.  My heart has not raced nearly
as much.  And I've noticed I'm more productive, and can concentrate better
on tasks.  I'm getting a lot more done during a day than I have in
years.  Not bad, huh?

The cooking is coming along.  For the first time in my life, I'm learning
to eat vegetables.  I've discovered that fresh steamed broccoli is actually
edible!  Especially compared to the frozen microwave kind.  I've eaten
things like greens, squashes (yellow and zucchini), and peppers.  And a
larger variety of fresh fruits than I've ever eaten before, including
several kinds of berries.  I'm having some success with figuring out how to
cook things.  I made up a pork chop dish the other day that was very
good.  And I do a waldorf salad which we like.  And yesterday I made up a
meatloaf in which I included some minced carrot and chinese cabbage which
even husband enjoyed a lot.  So far, the real problem is how much time it
takes, esp with vegetable prep and washing up!  It's amazing how simple
dishwashing used to be--throw out the takeout containers.  I'm cooking
scratch three times a day now.  Rachel is going to show me some ways to
streamline and get organized.  I'm learning already that keeping some
cooked meat leftovers and prepared fruits and veggies always in fridge
helps considerable for the smaller "inbetween" meals.

So, so far, so good!  Btw, I'd like to thank whoever put that coconut
custard recipe on the paleo site.  It had honey, so I've only made it once,
but it was a real treat on Valentine's day; it's nice to know there's
something like that I can have every once in awhile.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone!

Cheers,
Ro