From:
Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:17:54 -0400
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:35:18 -0400, Todd Moody
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Philip Thrift wrote:
>> It seems to me that some recent stories are
>> revising upwards the total % of meat in these diets; eg:
>>
>>     http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/120178997v1
>
>Yes, it's pretty clear that recent Neanderthal studies suggest
>that they were, as the authors say, "top-level carnivores."  The
>jury is still out on whether Neanderthals were ancestral to us,
>however, and at the moment the evidence tends to the negative.
>In short, we don't know how relevant the Neanderthal case is.

It seems reasonable to me that for paleo man (Neanderthal or not) that
their *primary motivation* was to seek out *meat* for food, and when
hunting provided this opportunity, it was exploited --
after all, they didn't have a bunch of nutrition "studies" telling
them
to eat a "balanced diet" :-).

Philip Thrift
"Paleofitness"