From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:09:20 GMT
My dang backwards, backwoods
>hillbilly grocery store don't carry them there kind o' things, when I
>run out of stuff in the off-season.  "What's this?" they ask, when I
>bring the checkout person a bunch of kale, collards, chard, kohlrabi,
>fennel, daikon radish, etc.  When I tell them, they give that sugary,
>obese sort of laugh and say, "Oh, hahha--I don't eat vegetables!"
>
>Lois

I shop at two different markets. My favorite is the Fresh Fields in
Annapolis, a 20 minute drive from here. Those cashiers know their
shiitakes
from their baby bellas. The other is the family-owned supermarket at
the end
of my block. (The one that's famous for it's rainbow-dyed "white"
bread.)
When I bought some winter squash (golden acorn and delicata) there
last
week, my clerk asked another about the product's PLU, and when asked
which
squash she was meaning she replied "party squash". I asked her why she
considered squash a party food. She looked at me like I was crazy and
said
"You can eat this stuff? We use it as decoration." She, too was the
chunky
"I don't eat vegetables" type.
Not that I mean to spark a "discussion" over whether winter squash is
paleo....