From:
Brenda Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 09:41:37 -0800

> I have never quite understood why yeast is non-Paleo.
> After all, there are wild yeasts in the air, and
> certain foods that hang around for a while will
> provide a hospitable environment. Same way with
> vinegar - it may not have been a major item in the
> diet, but fruits and vegetables kept for a while would
> have the potential to ferment and then turn to
> vinegar.
>
> Andrea

There are people who say that ingesting yeast contributes to internal yeast
overgrowth or infections ("candidiasis"). Some examples:

- "Most nutritionists agree that any good candida diet should reduce as much
as possible processed sugar, yeast, dairy, wheat, caffeine, nicotine and
alcohol. They are the main culprits because they help candida yeast to
grow." ("Candida Diet," http://www.pureliquidgold.com/candida-diet.htm)

On the other hand, there don't seem to have been a lot of studies done on
the harmful effects of yeast and some people claim that vinegar has
medicinal properties.

I am so NOT a scientist, lol, but methinks that there is good and bad yeast, just as there is good and bad bacteria.  I can tell you that when I have a yeast "infection" (loved your description, Ginny...."squatters", hehehe), I drink the organic apple cidar vinegar with the mother, and the "infection" is cleared up in three days or so.  It also works instantly (for me) for the hiccups.  Lovely stuff, Paleo or not.  :)

  Love,
  Bren, who thinks it's good on spinach, too