From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:05:14 +0900
> It may not be 100% paleo, but its absolutely fascinating.I've never heard of
> anything like it. I almost wsh I 'd get sick again so that I could try it out. I
> saw some TV program the other night about how scientists followed apes around to
> see what they ate when they were sick, maybe thats how the papaya thing started. Do
> you know anything else like this? Tell us more,
> Chris

The coke may not be necessary :--). I drank a lot of it before I went
paleo anyway. If you are traveling gassy drinks are generally
considered safer than the local water anyway. The other stuff works
well. I think a little yogurt every day helps prevent bad bacteria
from invading, especially if you are on a high carb diet, but I don't
have anything but anecdote to back that up. In fact this whole "plan"
is nothing but anecdote. It works for me, that is all I can say. You
should be able to eliminate the most non-paleo parts, bread and coke,
and still get a positive effect. The bread is only to slow down
serious trots anyway, it helps prevent dehydration, I don't eat it now.

I have been a lot healthier since going low cab/paleo. No serious
colds, flu, hay fever. It has been great.

Like I said, I went through a year or so of gut invasions every few
weeks, till I built up resistence. The locals, after they are adult,
rarely got sick from intestinal bugs, but the kids were hit hard, many
died. The water was filthy.

I have a theory that a lot of the things we think of as "unhealthy"
such as tobacco, alcohol, coffee etc actually have some beneficial
aspect in third world conditions, that is why they spread so quickly
once introduced. (Even bread eating, it was better than starving.)

For example, tobacco smoke may keep mosquitoes away, or the taste of
tobacco in the skin and blood may. Even a small difference in bite
rates would result in fewer malaria, dengue fever, etc cases among
tobacco users than abstainers. Alcohol the same. Tobacco certainly
keeps certain stomach parasites down. Coffee and tea both block iron
uptake in bacteria, perhaps preventing some cases of stomach ailments.
I do not swear by this, but it sounds reasonable to me. I never tried
to get people in these places to give up their "bad habits".
Especially since I was sick all the time while they were not. Tobacco
cuts years off the end of life, but in some circumstance may be beneficial.