From:
Joan Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 18:17:10 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Kristina K. Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, 3 May 2009 10:56 am
Subject: going off meds and other questions - long, sorry!

>>1. I know I can wean off the HC since I have done it before, but I wonder if
it is possible for the body's thyroid to start working on its own again
after being on thyroid medication for 12 years.<<

I was first diagnosed as hypothyroid in my teens (around 1970) and was on
the little yellow pills for several years.  Don't remember how many.
I have found that whether the condition shows up on blood tests is
directly connected with the level of green vegetables in my diet.  When I
keep to the Julia Ross rule (either cooked greens twice the volume
of the palm of my hand or raw greens four times the volume, three times a day)
the thyroid problem will go away in about two months.  I started this when I
was only eating muscle meats; people who eat organ meats, which have some of
the same nutrients as leafy greens, might not need it.

More recently I have heard from three different resources (one on herbal medicine,
one on psychopharmacology and one on the medical issues around vegetarianism)
that the best greens for you are eaten within ten seconds of picking and not
washed.  It seems that there are beneficial microorganisms in the soil that
provide nutrients we overcivilized people need and can't get in supermarket
food.  I now have several little beds of salad greens growing around the
property for just this purpose, and of course Mama Nature provides plenty
because we keep the lawn unsprayed.  The violets are
wonderful this year, both to see and to eat.

~ Joan