From:
toni mettler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:53:02 -0700
Amadeus wrote:

>Sweet potatoes are not related to potatoes.
>They come from south america and hunter/gatherers there ate them.
>Yam ditto, elsewhere.
>Tubers and roots like these are a *basic* food of hunter/gatherers.

toni says:  thanks for the info.  please disregard the message i wrote 5
mintues ago.  you answered most of my questions in this reply.  however,
still i have few questions about eating paleo:

1. what are tubers exactly?  examples beyond carrots and turnips?

2. what do you mean by "basic" being in parenthesis?  (sometimes its hard to
decipher connotations via e-mail.)

3. Ray says cashews are not paleo because they are not able to be eaten raw.
  what am i eating then when i buy raw cashews at the health food store?

4. Ray also advises to stay away from roasted nuts.  granted, they have been
processes, but people of that era could have roasted nuts...they had fire,
right.  does it depend on what they have been roasted in because i know many
are roasted in peanut oil which would be a no-no since peanuts are not nuts
but legumes.  however, some alternative stores sell nuts roasted in oils
other than peanut.  I think Marantha sells some nut butters that are roasted
in oils other than peanut.  which brings up another question...

5. are nut/seed butters okay?  people in the paleolithic era could have
ground up nuts and seeds for a paste-type substance.  its just that we know
use technology to do it in mass quantity and put it in jars.

thanks for you reply and vast knowledge of the subject.  it does not go
unoticed or unappreciated.

toni