From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:07:06 EDT
I used to be addicted to cream and hard cheeses.  However, since I omitted
dairy, I have noticed a dramatic reduction in my cellulite.  My skin tone
simply looks much better.  I believe that cutting out dairy has also
eliminated a constipation problem I used to have.  I have only been
dairy-free for 6 months and it does not tempt me in the slightest.  For added
incentive, you may wish to take a look at a book by Prof. Jane Plant -- a
prominent UK scientist.  She believes that was able to get her breast cancer
into remission by omitting dairy.  Although she did receive traditional
medical therapy, her cancer kept returning until she cut out dairy (all
dairy, even organic).  Perhaps this was just a coincidence, but her book
(Your Life Is In Your Hands) is pretty interesting.  She explains a
fascinating theory about how it is the milk proteins that encourage breast
cancer.  Although she does encourage soy consumption and talks of how a
vegetarian diet may be superior for health, she herself eats organic
meat/poultry.  Anyway, the part about milk/dairy was interesting and may give
you incentive to quit.  My suggestion is that you simply try it out for 2
months.  If you do not feel any benefits and believe that omitting dairy
makes it impossible for you to adhere to the rest of the paleo diet way of
eating -- then at that point you could decide what's best for you.  But I
think you should completely omit it for a decent test period first.  Remember
that when you eat cheese, you are taking in a lot of calories with no fiber
and not particularly beneficial fats (unless you are eating raw, grass-fed
dairy which contains large amounts of CLA).  If you snack on nuts or nut
butters instead, you get essential fatty acids plus additional fiber and
minerals.  Just a thought.  Good Luck!