From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:25:39 -0500
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Edward Campbell wrote:

> Atkins feels that 1:1 ratio is ideal.  However, he states that 1.5-2.0:1 ratio
> is very acceptable.  The Harvard Study (Circulation 10/21/97) also saw
> substantial risk reduction when the ratio was 2:1 or less.  However, the
> higher the ratio the greater risk for CHD.  So any reduction that NeanderThin
> gave you, has decreased your risks.

My current ratio is about 2.7, which is much better than before.

> Have you tried resistance training?  Most of the literature concurs that this
> type of exercise will increase HDL.

Yes, I have tried it.  I have also reviewed the literature and
found it to be rather divided on this one.  In any case I do
resistance training to maintain muscle mass.

> Also, Atkins has a new book on
> supplements for various disorders, including poor lipid profiles (Vita-
> Nutrient Solution).  Pantatheine, essential oils (particularly more
> omega-3's), and folic acid are a few that are mentioned.  His protocal may be
> worth a try.

I have tried most of these, and while they helped to lower LDL
they had no discernible effect on HDL.  At this point in time I
cannot afford further experimentation with expensive supplements.

At any rate, my main point here was not once again to air my
cholesterol problems but to make the more general point that some
of are apparently not going to get the HDL to move much.  As a
result, LDL and TRI are the variables that we able to manipulate.
A paleolithic diet may be very helpful for this, but only if it
low in saturated fats.

Todd Moody